Problem with Kenwood TM742a rig

Technical discussions

Problem with Kenwood TM742a rig

Postby WC3T » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:10 pm

My TM742 has no memory of the VFO settings I attempt to write to memory. Before we jump to the conclusion that it's a bad battery, I have one (1) memory slot on each of the three bands and it remembers that one just fine. However, there are no other slots available. Plus it remembers the VFO settings from power-on to power-on.

I bought the rig about two months ago. Put it into service two days ago. It had three memory slots on each band available. I called Cliff at Avvid (respected Kenwood repair depot) and he suggested that I do a reset. When I did, the number of active memory slots changed to one.

Still thinking it's probably the battery, but I was looking for someone to agree with me. Anyone? Bueller?
WC3T

No More Problem with Kenwood TM742a rig

Postby WC3T » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:37 am

I owe folks a reply - it is solved! The TM742 and later Kenwood models seemed to have had a different key sequence to save the VFO settings into memory than did my TM631.

Basically, I was executing them out of order. I played with my TM-V71 until I figured it out; that one was an almost-new rig that exhibited the same behavior, which clued me into the fact that it wasn't the rig, it was the operator. Hi hi.
WC3T

Return to Technical Questions